SA to adopt 2sqm rule, mulls VIC traveller pre-approvals
23 June 2020, Written by David Simmons
South Australia will implement the two square metre rule per person for indoor gatherings, restaurants, bars and cafes when it moves to Stage 3 on Monday 29 June.
The approach sees COVID-19 restrictions being wound back even further, after the SA Government previously announced the application of the 4sqm rule would be applied across the board from next week.
SA Premier Steven Marshall says the new rule can be implemented thanks to the hard work done by South Australians in suppressing COVID-19.
"South Australia continues to have an excellent, excellent record in terms of reduced infections," says Marshall.
"We're the envy of the entire country and quite frankly I think we are the envy of the entire world, and this is what has given the Transition Committee confidence today to further ease restrictions in Stage 3."
"Large events" like outdoor concerts and the reopening of nightclubs are also on the cards for Stage 3, with the specificities of how these events and venues can operate to be announced in the coming days.
"Some higher risk activities which have never even been contemplated before, larger events and nightclubs, will be considered, but only after a comprehensive COVID management plan has been put in place and approved by SA Health and the Transition Committee," says Marshall.
SA's borders have gradually begun to open up to travellers from WA, NT, QLD and TAS, but the spike in COVID-19 cases in Victoria has raised red flags for Premier Marshall.
As such, the State is planning on implementing a pre-approval process for travellers from Victoria, whereby Victorians must obtain essential travel approval if they wish to enter SA.
SA will open its borders to Victoria on 20 July as previously announced, but Marshall says he is looking "very closely" at Victoria.
"Having said that, I do emphasise that we're not going to lift the borders if we're going to go backwards as a State," says Marshall.
"We've got three, nearly four weeks until that date, we are looking at what's happening in Victoria extraordinarily carefully, but we as a nation have got on top of outbreaks and clusters before and I'm sure that's exactly what will happen in Victoria."
SANFL games this weekend will also be permitted to host spectators. The maximum capacity for both days will be 5,000 people per game on Saturday and Sunday.
Updated at 12:32pm AEST on 23 June 2020.
Author: David Simmons