BILLABONG TAKEOVER SAGA DRAGS ON

Written on the 24 April 2013

BILLABONG TAKEOVER SAGA DRAGS ON

BILLABONG drawn out takeover speculation is set to drag out further after the company’s shares were voluntarily suspended from trading this morning.

Shareholders were expecting some news today from the Gold Coast-based sportswear group regarding two potential takeover bids that have been hanging over the company since January.

The company called for a two-day trading halt of its shares on Tuesday, raising some hope that an announcement would come from the company soon.

But this morning Billabong sought a voluntary suspension of trading in its shares, saying it needs more time to continue negotiations with the bidders.

“The company requests that the suspension remain in place until such time as the company is able to make an announcement in relation to such negotiations,” Billabong says in a statement to the Australian Securities Exchange.

The share suspension places a cloud over the timing of a takeover bid announcement from Billabong as suspensions are indefinite.

Some sources suggest that Billabong may have sought the suspension to give one of the bidders time to present their offer.

One bid is coming from US clothing giant VF Corporation and Altamont Capital Partners and the other from Paul Naude, the long-time boss of Billabong’s American operations, in conjunction with private equity firm Sycamore Partners.

The VF-Altamont bid was rumoured to be in jeopardy last month, a rumour that was scotched by Billabong which revealed both offers were still in train.

Some sources are now suggesting VF-Altamont has yet to secure full debt funding for a bid and that Billabong would want two competing offers on the table if it is to extract any value from the bid process.

Both bids were originally pitched at $1.10 a share, or $527 million, but since the offers were revealed in January Billabong’s shares have slipped to a low of 63c.
They last traded at 73c, with many analysts now forecasting offers could be presented around 80c a share.

Investors also have been rattled by repeated profit downgrades by the company over the past year, culminating in a net loss of $536.6 million for the December half year.

Billabong is forecasting a downgraded underlying profit of between $74 million and $85 million this financial year.

Billabong could not be contacted for comment.


Latest News

1700 BRISBANE APARTMENTS NOW MANAGED BY FORTUNE 500 COMPANY JLL

MULTINATIONAL and Fortune 500 company JLL (NYSE: JLL) has expanded its Australian dominance in the property managemen...

HARVEY NORMAN HITS OUT AT 'FALSE NEWS' OF ASIC INVESTIGATION

RETAIL giant Harvey Norman (ASX: HVN) has vehemently rejected reports its accounts are under investigation by ASIC, s...

RARE GOOD NEWS FOR SLATER AND GORDON AS ASIC CLOSES INVESTIGATION

ASIC has cleared Slater and Gordon of deliberately falsifying its accounts after a three-month investigation.

It s...

Q & A WITH FACEBOOK GURU ANDY MCKEON AS HE JOINS AUSTRALIAN SOFTWARE COMPANY LIVETILES

HE was creative director at Apple under the legendary Steve Jobs, and is now a senior Facebook executive. In his n...

Related News

RAY OF HOPE FOR SLATER AND GORDON AS LENDERS STEP IN

EMBATTLED law firm Slater and Gordon (ASX: SGH) has announced to the ASX that it has launched confidential discussion...

SPROUTX PROVIDES THE SEED FOR AGTECH STARTUPS

AGTECH innovation fund SproutX has opened applications for its first accelerator round, backed by $10 million from...

GAS PRICES MAY FORCE BRICKWORKS TO TAKE MANUFACTURING OVERSEAS

BRICKWORKS Limited (ASX:BKW) chairman Robert Millner says soaring energy prices may force the company to turn to offs...

CHINA CONTINUES TO COLLECT AUSSIE PROPERTY ASSETS

CHINESE coin continues to dominate Australia's offshore real estate investment market, accounting for almost h...

EVENTS COMING UP

 

Contact us

Email News Update Sign Up Contact Details
Subscriptions

PO Box 2087
Brisbane QLD 4001

LoginTell a FriendSign Up to Newsletter